Troublesome Ticks: Some members of our group may have had issues with ticks. Or may know someone who has. A study is being conducted to find out more about reactions to tick bites. Interested in participating?
More information here: https://tickstudy.murdoch.edu.au/about and https://tickstudy.murdoch.edu.au/about#block-yui_3_17_2_1_1596769144873_7700
For our group to succeed as a vibrant walking group, we need to have active members who are willing to come on walks and contribute to planning and running walks. To make sure this is within the capabilities of all of us, we propose to start up a learning program to share and improve all our skills and give us the confidence to fully participate in the walking programs. We believe we all have some skills and knowledge to share. Asking questions is the best way for us all to learn (not just the person who asked the question). There are no dumb questions, just sometimes dumb answers.
Here are some thoughts about what we can look at doing. Please think about this and give feedback and suggestions and also please be willing to share your own knowledge.
Types of walks we want to do
- length / difficulty / on or off tracks / overnight / driving distances
- Minimum emergency items for all walks
- Boots, pack, clothing etc.
- Camping equipment
- Map reading
- Compass reading & use in real life
- Mobile map apps (maps, compass etc.)
- How to read the country
- How to reccie a new route
- Individual responsibility
- How to safely walk in a group
- Emergencies/accidents (this needs to be planned for, not just made up when it happens)
- Basic First Aid
- Snake bite
- What to do if you get lost
- know your limits and communicate to the leader in good time.
- Leaving the group during a walk
- Electronic personal location beacons
Group leader skills
- Grading your walk
- Safety Group communication
- When to decide to retrace your steps
- Getting lost
- Group morale - how to make sure no one is left out, worn out.
- Walk leader
- Tail end Charlie
- first aid person(s)
Retaining existing members
Communication (web etc.)